The club holds beginners' lessons each year.
2019's lessons start Thursday 2nd May from 7.30 to 9.30 pm. Lessons run for 12 weeks on Thursdays.
Cost is $50 which includes course notes and club membership for the calendar year.
Contact Tim or Anne 06 364 5240 or email email@example.com for information on the next lessons.
Our lessons correspond to those on the NZ Bridge website, which can be found here.
A brief introduction to Bridge
Bridge is a card game for four players, with one pair playing against the other pair.
Bridge is very similar to Five Hundred. There is an auction in which the players bid to win so many tricks with their choice of suit as trumps. The pair ending up with the highest bid becomes declarer, and tries to make their contract. The other pair, the defenders, try to defeat the contract. At the end, a score is awarded to the winning pair, depending on the number of tricks bid and the number won or lost.
Some differences to Five Hundred are:
- a 52 card pack, thirteen cards for each player
- no joker
- no bowers
- no kitty
- ace is the highest card, then king, queen, jack, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 (lowest)
- clubs is the lowest suit, then diamonds, hearts, spades. Highest of all is "no trumps"
- a player can pass during the auction, and rejoin the bidding later
- bids of "double" and "re-double" are also available
- one player, declarer's partner, is dummy, and puts their cards on the table for everyone to see
- declarer plays their own hand and dummy's hand
- bonuses are awarded for bidding and making contracts above certain levels